Monday, January 31, 2011

A Drink and a Smoke

I spent some time on Difford's Guide Friday afternoon looking for recipes that would help me use up a bottle of Pimm's No. 1.  It's not that I don't like Pimm's (actually it's pretty tasty, if a bit tame), it's just that it isn't that handy - that bottle is taking up precious real-estate on my bar that could be better occupied by any number of spirits or liqueurs.  In the process, I came across a recipe for the Breakfast Club cocktail.  The original calls for cold lapsang souchong (a smoked black tea), white rum, honey, and orange marmalade.  Lacking white rum and still possessing a bottle of quince syrup, I modified the recipe a bit to suit my pantry.

A Drink and a Smoke
Shake and strain:
3 oz. aged rum
1.5 oz. cold lapsang souchong tea
1/2 ounce quince syrup

The smokiness of the tea works beautifully with the aged rum, Barbancourt 3-star in this case.  The overall reduction in ABV and and the sweetness of the quince syrup bring out the vanilla flavors in the spirit.  This is perfect cocktail for someone who doesn't want anything too boozy.  While the smokiness of the tea and the viscosity of the quince syrup make this a wonderful winter cocktail, but I could drink these all summer served tall over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment