Thursday, January 20, 2011

Vin d'Orange

Lillet is a French, wine-based aperitif which I have never had the pleasure of tasting.  So, when I saw a recipe for vin d'orange - a supposedly Lillet-like infusion of wine, citrus, and spices - posted on Serious Eats, I filed it away for safe keeping.  Star.  Keep as Unread. Never got around to it.

When another vin d'orange recipe appeared on Imbibe, it really lit a fire under me.  After a vanilla-bean-, meyer-lemon-, and navel-orange-laden trip to Costco, I was on my way.  I had also recently purchased a case of budget-friendly, but slightly over the hill white and rose wines, so I had everything I needed.

I know a lot of time is spent talking about how important it is to use fresh, high-quality quality ingredients.  Not this time.  I used a vanilla bean leftover from roasting pears and the wine was not one I would generally serve to guests.  Regardless, the final product was delicious and a big hit out our recent Ottolenghi dinner - another story altogether.

Vin d'Orange
Place in a large jar, and let sit, covered, one week in a cool and dark place:
1 bottle dry rose wine
1 meyer lemon, quartered
2 navel oranges, quartered
1/2 cup vodka
1/2 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 vanilla bean
Strain after infusing.  Drink chilled.

UPDATE: works great in a Twentieth Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment